SPC Ltd delivers Olympic contracts in full

SPC Ltd was engaged at short notice by TfL to urgently develop crowd management plans for Day 70 of the Olympic Torch Relay.

Transport for London has applauded the superb delivery of crucial crowd management operations by Specialist Policing Consultancy. Brought in with only 4 weeks run in, SPC were contracted to design, staff and deliver crucial crowd management plans that ensured that the Games went ahead safely and securely. The contract stated with two components firstly to manage the crowds for Day 70 of the Olympic Torch Relay. The final plans for the OTR were in crisis as the contracts with London boroughs only covered the first 6 of the 7 London days. On the 7th day the torch was to travel from Windsor along the Thames to Tower Bridge.

The operation contrasted completely from the Queens Diamond Jubilee river pageant which only covered 13 bridges and for which there was 3 years planning time. In addition on the QDJ the event was to take place on a Sunday and all of the bridges would be closed to traffic.

For Day 70 the route passed under 19 road and 3 pedestrian bridges at the height of the rush hour and on normal working Friday in July.

SPC brought in a specialist team of former police officers to develop the plans, design the C3 management structure and deliver an extensive crowd management plan that rolled seamlessly into the Olympic Opening Ceremony at Stratford.

The team had to work alongside 9 London Boroughs, the Metropolitan Police, Locog and other stake holders.

SPC engaged McKenzie Arnold Security Ltd (MAS) to deliver the plan. MAS are one of the UK’s top 5 security companies and it is dynamic and flexible enough to accommodate to all the clients' requirements, without compromising its rigidly enforced ISO 9001 quality assurance system.

On the day they deployed over 300 staff on this operation alone with a further 100 staff at the Games Opening Ceremony.

At the request of SPC they delivered a mobile reserve to add additional support to crucial bridges as crowd swelled. They achieved this by mobilising staff from early sites to central London as the OTR progressed up the Thames. This was critical as at times the flotilla was over 40 minutes ahead of schedule.

While temporary traffic holds were put in place as the flotilla passed under bridges no roads were closed and no disruption caused to London’s commuters. Footways were stewarded to manage crowds on the bridges and overflow areas identified on the river banks to ensure that numbers were safely controlled.

The entire operation was delivered safely, on time and within agreed budgets.